Watch Out for These Common Late Summer Pests
Pests can be a problem any time of year; however, the following are most common in late summer:
- Flies: Unfortunately, these pests love summer just as much as we do. They thrive on warmth - and the food you’re trying to eat out on the deck. Flies also congregate around trash. The warm, moist season is a perfect environment for them, and your home can quickly become infested.
Simple steps, like putting your trash out as far from your home as you can, not leaving food out, and using screens on your windows and doors can help.
- Ticks: Some species of ticks carry bacteria that, when transmitted to humans or animals, can cause serious illnesses, such as Lyme Disease. In summer, we and our pets are at higher risk because we’re typically outside more. Ticks climb on tall grasses and wait for something to latch on to - like Fido’s fur or your leg.
Treat your pets for ticks with a vet-recommended product and be sure to check them, your children, and yourself after you go outside - even if it’s just in the backyard. Buy a tick key just in case you find one that has become embedded; they’re just a few bucks and well worth the investment!
- Bees, Wasps, Hornets, and Other Stinging Pets: These winged pests are super active in the summer, and they love to build their nests as close to your house as possible - or even inside. If they feel threatened, they’ll defend their nests, and their weapon of choice is a painful, burning sting.
Have a professional extermination service remove nests quickly so your family is not in danger.
- Ants: In late summer, ants are typically busy foraging for the queen, and you won’t be as likely to see them in your home. But… they don’t always adhere to the same calendar that we do, and if they sense food, they’ll go and get it. So, just like dealing with flies, make sure to dispose of or put away food.
- Rodents: Get ready. It’s still nice and warm out and will be for a few months. But rodents (mice, squirrels, etc.) will soon be looking for a place to winter over. Make sure it is not in your home or garage! Seal up any cracks around pipes, windows, or doors, and if you notice signs of these pests, call Rid-a-Bug right away. We use live traps to safely remove rodents.
- Bed Bugs: Bed bugs are tenacious little pests. If you’re sensitive to their bites, they can make your life miserable. As many of us take vacations and stay in hotels over the summer, there is a good chance of bringing bed bugs back with us. This is not a souvenir you want!
When you’re staying in a hotel, motel, inn, or even a friend or family member’s home, check for bed bugs. They’re good at hiding, so look for clusters of black or dark brown spots of dried excrement. You may also notice a sweet, musty smell. They can fit into tiny cracks and crevices of the mattress, box spring, headboard, footboard, and other furniture close to the bed.
When you get home, immediately wash all of your clothing and other soft items (e.g. bedding, pillows) in hot water.
If you are having difficulty with any of these common late summer pests - or others - contact Rid-a-Bug today. Our fast, effective, dependable pest control services will help ensure a much more pleasant, comfortable summer!