What Are Ticks?
You must know your enemy in order to defeat it. Ticks are parasitic insects that feed on the blood of their hosts. They live to find a warm cuddly animal to bite and latch onto.
They often carry harmful diseases that can make you or your beloved pets extremely sick. Ticks prefer cool, damp environments, such as grass, leaves, pine needles, shrubbery, and plant beds.
If you have pets or children, they aren't just in the woods or on the trail; they're likely in your house as well. Ticks are small and can be almost imperceptible when they are on your skin; however, once removed, a bite can become itchy, swollen, and potentially infected.
Can You Repel Ticks Naturally?
There are a few natural repellents that can help at least reduce the tick population around your home. Here are seven ways to prevent ticks from taking over:
- Natural Predators: Ticks do have natural predators. One way to control the tick population in your yard is to utilize the services of chickens. Chickens will eat your ticks. You can also try Nematodes. They are very tiny roundworms that destroy ticks, termites, and other insects. They are not harmful to humans or pets.
- Deter Deer and Rodents: Ticks love to find deer and rodents. If these animals visit your property frequently, you can be sure ticks are hanging out as well. Construct fencing and other deterrents to make sure deer and mice take a wide berth around your home.
- Diatomaceous Earth: This is a white powder formed from the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of algae, that's harmless to people but lethal to insects. You can apply to areas where ticks are common such as near your shed, garden, and the base of your home.
- Yard Work: The more places ticks have to hide, the more appealing it will be for them to hang out on your property. Keep your grass short, hedges trimmed, and plant beds clean to provide fewer places for ticks to hang out and wait for you or your pets.
- Pet Tick Treatment: This is not necessarily the most natural repellant on the list, but your pets are susceptible to the effects of tick bites. It is a good idea to have them treated for ticks and fleas throughout the year. Not only will tick treatments help protect your furry family members, but they will also give ticks one less reason to spend time in your yard.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: How often is apple cider vinegar the solution to your problem? A mixture of two cups of water, four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and two tablespoons of organic neem oil can be sprayed directly on your skin or on your outdoor furniture.
- Eat Garlic: Garlic wards off other blood-sucking creatures like vampires, so why wouldn’t it help repel ticks. Eating more garlic can help make you and your family less appealing to ticks.
Professional Tick Extermination and Management
While there are many advantages to finding natural ways to discourage ticks from making a home in your yard and landscaping, sometimes you need a little more help than vinegar and garlic can provide.
Plus, you know how vital it is to make sure your family is safe from these tiny, disease-carrying insects. Whether it’s your pets or children, the thought of life being potentially permanently affected by ticks may be enough to make you want to seek professional solutions to your tick infestation.
For professional tick and pest extermination services, Rid-A-Bug Exterminating is here for you. We can dramatically reduce the tick population on your property, helping your family and pets avoid encounters with these nasty creatures.
If you have critters that carry ticks like mice scurrying around your property, we can help you relocate them humanely. Stop fighting the battle against pests alone. Rid-A-Bug has fifty years of experience exterminating insects like ticks.
We can usually take care of your pest management needs within 24-hours of your call. Contact us for professional tick removal services.