How to Find an Environmentally Friendly Pest Control Company
If a bug or rodent problem has escalated past your own capabilities, it is time to contact a pest control company. At the moment, when dealing with a pest issue is time-critical, it may seem overwhelming to try and find a company that operates in an environmentally conscious way. You just want results and fast.
But taking a few extra moments to find an eco-friendly pest control service can save you in the long run. These companies take not only the environment but your safety very seriously, and that includes having a practical solution that isn’t just an immediate fix, but a long-term solution to the pest problem.
Understanding Integrated Pest Management
The first step in finding a pest control company that takes an environmentally friendly approach to their work is understanding the methods one would use. While a significant component of ‘green’ pest control is limiting the use of harmful chemical pesticides and insecticides or opting for organic-based products, this is only a small component of what a pest company should do.
Look for companies that utilize Integrated Pest Management (IPM). This approach to pest management takes a more holistic approach to managing pests in and around our homes.
It aims to find and apply the most effective, safest, and minimally impactful solution. It focuses on identification, non-invasive management, and careful control. Chemical approaches are seen as the last step.
And the good news is that there are many IPM steps that you can take on your own. If you have noticed pests in or around your house, taking care of the following might make your home a little less inviting to unwanted visitors.
- Remove standing water from your yard, and ensure water drains away from your foundation.
- Keep any food secured. This includes pantries, pet food, and scraps in trash cans.
- Periodically check your home's foundation and walls. Seal up any cracks or gaps that allow for exterior access.
- Clean inside and out. Keep your yard clear of debris pests can use as a home, wash after cooking and meals, and clear up hair and dust from hard-to-reach areas under furniture or along floorboards.
Seems simple right? Integrated pest management is all about understanding the ecosystems in which pests thrive. If you can remove sources of water, food, and easy access, you have lessened the chance that bugs or rodents will target your home for infestation.
Doing Your Research
Now that you know what an environmentally friendly pest control company will focus on, it is time to do a little research. Take a look over the websites and customer reviews for the services in your area. You want to look for a company that is both highly rated and that puts IPM or other earth-friendly methods at the forefront.
We have put together a list of things to look out for when selecting a pest control service. Some of these items will be easy to find on websites or in reviews. You might not find out about others until a technician has arrived to diagnose your pest problem.
Keep an eye out for the following:
- Website or service information that mentions the use of environmentally friendly methodologies such as Integrated Pest Management, LEED-certified treatments, GreenPro certification, or adherence to the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Pesticide Stewardship Program.
- It offers a thorough inspection of the property and a tailored approach for specific pest types instead of a one size fits all bomb.
- The company has a focus on protecting ecosystems and limiting damage to beneficial insects.
- If a chemical is suggested, they can provide a Materials Safety Data Sheet on the product.
The important thing is to discuss your needs with the pest control company.
Many offer mixed services, meaning they can do environmentally friendly, traditional chemical treatments, or a mix of both. Integrated pest management focuses on environmentally friendly solutions, but a chemical application is sometimes the only effective method. In this case, you still want a company that can administer it in a safe and as non-destructive way as possible.
Effective and Environmentally Friendly Pest Control Service
You don’t have to look far for fast, effective, and environmentally friendly pest control in the area of western North Carolina.
Since 1972 Rid-A-Bug Exterminating has been the trusted professional for taking care of pest and wildlife problems. We get results and take keeping the environment healthy in and around your home seriously, with LEED Certified Treatments that focus on IPM and non-chemical solutions to treat the problem.
If you have a pest or wildlife problem of your own, let us help. Call us at 1-800-682-5901, or fill out our online contact form. We cover a wide service area, and with weekend and evening services available, we will work to get you seen as quickly as possible to minimize damage to your home or health.