‘Tis the season to be merry and bright. Still, once the decorations are up and the tree is lit, even the busiest families can get into the spirit of the season. Christmas movies are playing every evening. Cookies and sweets are in abundance. You’re probably getting some much-needed time off work. This is the most wonderful time of year, after all.
However, if you live in the Carolinas or Virginia, it is still a season of indoor pests. Spiders are weaving, termites are eating, and roaches are skittering throughout fall and winter. If you or someone you know is dealing with pests during the holiday season, give the gift of professional pest control this Christmas.
Give the Gift of Pest Control
You might think that the bugs and insects would freeze to death or at least hibernate during winter, but that is not the case here in the Southeast. It is a myth that bugs all die or hide when the temperature drops below freezing.
Mosquitoes are among those that hide during the winter months, but there are others that either replace them or emerge specifically during cooler weather. In fact, when the season of yule begins, the cold temperatures may actually drive pests inside. It is important to be mindful of the potential for cold weather pests.
Common Pests That Want to Spend the Holidays with You
Some of the pests that may want to visit your home when the decorations come out include:
- Aphids: Aphids may be present on the lower branches and boughs of your Christmas tree. Despite the fact that they may inflict major harm to the plants and flowers in your yard, they are frequently harmless for people and your tree. However, aphids can attract other insects.
- Ladybugs: If the ladybug community gets wind of an aphid population in your home, they will soon invade as well.
- Stink Bugs: These beetles are one of the most bothersome pests in the fall and winter. When threatened, they release an unpleasant toxin that makes everyone wish they had never existed. Unfortunately, stink bugs love to hide behind Christmas trees, so you have to watch out for them during the holidays.
- Termites: Winter may not be the most active time of year for termites, but there is no season in which they stop plaguing your home. If you see signs of termites during the holidays in your home or that of a close relative, the time to act is now. They can do thousands of dollars of damage any time they’re in your house, including during the holidays.
- Ants: Sugary crumbs from holiday parties are going to attract ants, even if the temperatures dip below freezing. If you find ants this winter, do not be alarmed; just call Rid-A-Bug for expedient ant control.
- Other Wood-Destroying Insects: Carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, and other wood-destroying insects can wreak havoc on the wood in your home. They have no respect for the holiday season.
- Spiders: Among the creepiest of the winter pests, spiders can be found anywhere around your home during winter. From sneaking up on you when you turn the lights on the tree to scuttling around the presents if you have spiders, you want them gone. The only venomous spiders in our area are Brown Recluses, Black Widows, Yellow Sac Spiders, and False Black Widows. Unfortunately, these and other spiders can be found in your home any time of the year.
- Roaches: Roaches are attracted to the sugary treats we often have near our trees during Christmas. No one likes roaches. Do not feel like you have to settle for them because you are feeling warm and welcoming for the holidays; give the gift of roach removal this winter season.
- Bed Bugs: Your house is vulnerable to bedbug infestation if you often travel or host visitors over the holidays. They hide in clothes, bags, blankets, and sheets as they wait to unpack and enter your house. Small sores and red or brown stains on your skin, as well as on your bedding and furnishings, may be left behind by bed bugs.
- Rodents: Opossums, mice, and squirrels see your home as a refuge from the cold. They are also hoping to luck into a nice holiday meal. If you do not want rodents stealing your Santa cookies, contact Rid-A-Bug today.
There are a number of potential winter pests. What can you do to keep a home insect-free during the holidays and colder months?
What to Do About Winter Pests?
1. Keep Your Kitchen and Other Spaces Clean.
The holidays are a season associated with sugary treats and holiday parties. It is the perfect time of year to make the type of mess that attracts pests. Make careful to vacuum or clean up any crumbs from the floor. To prevent roaches and ants from congregating under appliances, keep boxes packed and tidy.
2. Wash Sheets And Bedding.
If you travel during the holidays, there is a chance of bringing home bed bugs and other pests. Make sure to wash your bedding, bags, and clothing as soon as possible if you have visitors during the winter or travel in any way. It's best to use hot water.
3. Seal the Entryways Pests Might Use.
Winter pests might be expected if your home has drafty windows or doors, foundation cracks, or ventilation access sites. Seal off these spaces to increase energy efficiency and decrease bugs.
4. Watch Your Christmas Tree.
Your Christmas tree may be attracting pests. Keep an eye on it for signs of infestation and remove it as soon as possible after the holiday ends.
Pest Control Is a Great Gift!
While there are certainly steps you can take to reduce the presence of pests in your home; sometimes, you just need the help of professionals. If you or someone you know is dealing with an infestation of winter pests, you can give the gift of pest control.
With Rid-A-Bug, you can unwrap the gift of a pest-free, rodent-free environment in your very own home. We are a family-owned and operated pest control company that believes in treating people well throughout the year, spreading holiday cheer from January through December. You can count on our team to help eradicate all your problem pests.
You can expect our technicians to be professional and courteous and to get rid of those pesky pests and animals. We are fully licensed and insured, typically delivering same-day service.
Rid-A-Bug is like the gift that keeps giving. In addition to eradicating spiders and termites, we help you determine what is bringing the pests, so you can prevent their return. Potential pest sources included:
- Excess moisture in your basement, crawlspace, around your window sills, or other areas in your home.
- Water damage from flooding or damaged appliances
- Natural holiday decorations like trees and wreaths
- Crumbs and food left behind after holiday parties and visiting relatives
- Plants and gardens situated too closely to your home
- Damaged wood and siding
If you give the gift of pest control, you can expect Rid-A-Bug to help you determine the source of your pests and provide tips to correct them.
If you or someone about whom you care has a pest problem, give the gift of Rid-A-Bug pest control services this holiday season. In most cases, we provide same-day pest removal and the highest quality customer service. Contact Rid-A-Bug today for the removal of spiders, termites, ants, roaches, and other unwanted holiday guests.