Pest 1: Ants
Ants are among the most common house pest any season. During fall they will enter homes in search of food, shelter, and water. Some ants you might expect to see during autumn include:
- Little Black Ants: These are the most common and recognizable ants you will find in your home. They typically nest in moist areas and enter your home through the tiny cracks and crevices in your walls and foundation in search of food.
- Pavement Ants: You will find these ants in the cracks and crevices of your driveway and sidewalk, but you can also find them in crawlspaces and dirt basements, where they can create significant problems for homeowners.
- Acrobat Ants: Distinguishable by the way in which they point their large abdomens in the air, these ants are unpleasant and will, if threatened, emit a foul odor.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are bad for homeowners as they will cause damage to structural wood in your home or furniture. You can find them in anywhere there is wood and if left unchecked, they can create major issues.
- Fire Ants: These ants are more common in the southern parts of North Carolina into South Carolina. They are not likely to enter your home; however, if you find them in your yard, you want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Their large mounds are noticeable and if they feel threatened, they will attack in large swarming groups and sting their victims repeatedly with venom. These swarms and stings can be especially dangerous for small children and the elderly.
If you have ants in your home or want to do your best to prevent them, some tips include:
- Sweep and vacuum food spills and crumbs
- Ensure indoor and outdoor trash cans have tight lids
- Repair plumbing leaks and water damage quickly
- Wash dirty dishes quickly
- Dehumidify excess moisture
- Repair structural wood damage
Pest 2: Stink Bugs
Stink bugs are one of the most annoying pests of autumn. It seems like they appear out of nowhere, invade every part of your home, and are possible to eradicate. If you want to fight back, prevention is key. Prevention tips include:
- Seal entry areas: caulk cracks, replace storm windows, replace weather sealing, etc.
- Leave lights near doors off as much as possible
- Store food in airtight bags
- Check clothes and belongings before entering your home
- Keep branches, shrubbery, and firewood away from your doors and windows
- Don’t crush them. They emit an odor that can attract others
Pest 3: Spiders
Spiders commonly enter homes from late summer through early autumn. You are likely to see hairy wolf spiders skittering across your floor. There are only four types of venomous spiders in North Carolina:
- Brown Recluse Spiders
- Black Widow Spiders
- False Black Widow Spiders
- Yellow Sac Spiders
If you have spiders in your home, you are not alone. Contact Rid-A-Bug to have them removed.
Pest 4: Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are active year-round. If you or your family members find irritating itchy bites, blood stains on sheets, or must odors near furniture, bed bugs are likely the culprit. Beg bugs often hitch a ride on clothing or in suitcases after traveling. If you have bed bugs, you need to have them professionally controlled as soon as possible.
Pest 5: Cockroaches
Cockroaches are universally hated by all, and for good reason. They carry harmful bacteria and other bad things from trash, sewers, and other unsightly places. Cockroaches enter homes from summer through autumn in search of food and shelter. If you have cockroaches or any of these or other unwanted pests in your home, contact Rid-A-Bug. We typically offer same-day service and are fully licensed to serve much of North Carolina, Virginia, and South Carolina.